Spiritual Law of Synergy

One of my favorite Bible verses is Romans 8:28, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” This verse doesn’t suggest that everything that happens to us is good; that every cloud has a silver lining. Rather, it says God combines each event in our lives together with everything else we’ve experienced and causes the overall result to benefit us.

The original language reads in part, “God works together all things for good to the ones called ….” The Greek word translated “work together” is synergeo, from which we get our English word, “synergy.” Both words refer to a combining of various things and processing them to produce a unified result and both words allow for a compounded result; a result greater than the sum of its parts, such as 1 + 1 = 10. In fact, this 5-to-1 compounding ratio is biblical (Lev 26:8, a covenant blessing; Deut 32:30, a covenant curse).

In the New Testament we have such verses as Matthew 18:20, “For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” This states that when two or three believers come together — suggesting unity, not just a gathering — God also shows up, which means the results will be far greater than mere humans can produce. Other New Testament verses also describe the results of unity among believers and the synergistic results.

A final thought on Romans 8:28 deals with the “good” God produces. The next verse states, “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” The first word, “for,” means the author is about to tell us what God has in mind when he synergistically works everything together for us: he’s conforming us to the likeness of his Son, Jesus.

That is, God combines everything we experience — the good, the bad, the wonderful, the traumatic, the blessing, the trial — and works them all together synergistically for our ultimate good, which is for us to become like Jesus. Only when we understand this can we give thanks to God the Father for everything (Eph 5:20).

Recognizing how this law compounds the results of our efforts should motivate us to associate and work with Christians who share our beliefs. It also helps us acknowledge God’s involvement in our lives and activities, so we rely on him to use our efforts to produce what for us would be extraordinary results.

6 comments on “Spiritual Law of Synergy

John Egyawan on February 3, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi Larry. Thanks is powerful, I stumbled on this article when I was searching for the law of synergy. I am currently talking about the Law of one, that is the law of Unity John 17:21 to 23. I see clearly in this verses and Jesus prayer on oneness is what will cause us to achieve synergy. And this is when Christ is in us and we in Him and all of us in God. The law of oneness or unity will get us to this point. This is when we can all find that one thing that unites all of us, body, soul spirit. This is when we are able to experience God’s glory.

PARKER FELIX on March 21, 2017 10:49 am

One will put to flight thousand
Two will put to flight ten thousand
Deuteronomy 32:30
the law of synergy at work

Cynthia M Valentine on June 24, 2017 10:56 am

I was coming home from a appointment with my financial adviser when I looked up and saw the words synenergy written in the clouds and then it disappeared. What I the saw next was two beams of light. One was dark and the other one was light. They were side by side like the colors in the rainbow expect that it was just the two instead of many. I tried to do some research to determine what it meant and I have some understanding but not a lot and would love to have clarification of what I saw so that I don’t believe I am going crazy.

Larry Fox on June 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Some businesses use “SynEnergy” in their names. Or you may be referring to “synergy,” which describes an interaction between two or more parts that produces an effect greater than the sum of their individual effects, as described in the post you read, “Spiritual Law of Synergy.”

Rev Dr. Richard Stewart PhD on August 25, 2018 12:09 pm

Dateline August 25, 2018 These scriptures ar the 6th time this week I have heard them. Romans 8 has been a theme for me this week. I have been so many brutal trials for the past 14 years and they have not been pleasant. Ever since I completed my doctorate of Divinity I have been under constant attack. I have been beaten a number of times and thrown into a ditch and left for dead twice, cars and work trucks stolen from me. Someone put a rattle snake in my bed which bit me three times. I was shot twice 6 weeks later. Medical conditions have cropped up. Just tons of fun in the sun. No great blessings and no closer to the vision I was given. Work together for good? What? I look like a fool and infidel rather then a blessed believer.

Larry Fox on August 25, 2018 2:50 pm

Reverend Stewart, I can’t imagine experiencing what you described. The Apostle Paul, who wrote the passages I used in this blog post was flogged 5 times (39 lashes each), beaten with rods 3 times, stoned and left for dead. He knew exactly what he meant when he wrote those passages under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and I accept them as truth from God’s perspective. The feelings you described are understandable and I appreciate your candor. The fact that God brought these scriptures to your attention 6 times this week suggests he’s emphasizing their validity and encouraging you to stand immovable in your faith in him. As you know, life often doesn’t make sense, though it’s clear Satan is trying to wipe you out, but we must remain faithful to the one who loves us and always does what’s best for us long term. Stand strong in the Lord. Thank you for your comment.