Biblical Values in the Political Realm

Biblical Values in the Political Realm

Summary: Biblical values supersede politics and culture and should guide our political choices, actions and votes. These include such values as family, heterosexual marriage, sexual morality, protection of the innocent and defenseless, protection of the unborn, care for the needy, Israel, rule of law and justice, personal integrity, personal liberty, personal responsibility and fiscal stewardship.

Find other articles by Larry Fox about Christian activism in America

A primary reason for the decline of America is the decline of proper focus among Christians. For example, today we place our confidence in government instead of God and allow political parties to define and represent our convictions. We even become antagonistic toward those who have differing convictions or belong to another political party. We complain about our deteriorating society but do little to improve it.

It’s time for a radical realignment; not in the political system, but in us. We are citizens of God’s kingdom who happen to be Americans. Our relationship with God supersedes everything else in life and must govern everything we think and do.

I recommend allowing biblical values to influence our thinking, speech and actions in all aspects of our lives. In particular, when deciding among candidates running for office, our criteria for choosing should include whether they strongly support biblical values, as evidenced in their personal lives, public lives and voting records. As we exercise our civil rights by influencing our government officials and elected representatives, biblical values should govern what we say and do.

Please vote at every opportunity and according to biblical values. Please contact your government officials and elected representatives on important issues, demonstrating godly character and promoting biblical values. Please honor those who hold different values or who represent biblical values differently.

Following is a list of biblical values and related actions to consider. This is not a comprehensive list, nor is it in order of importance.

Recommended Biblical Values

Family
This is the foundation of all human cultures. A family consists of husband and wife, with children raised by both parents. (Gen 1:28; Eph 6:1-4; 1 Tim 3:12)

Heterosexual marriage
Marriage is between one man and one woman. Oppose same sex marriage. (Gen 2:24; Eph 5:31; 1 Tim 3:2, 12; Tit 1:6)

Sexual morality
Sex is appropriate only between husband and wife. Oppose extramarital sex, including sexual perversions. (Lev 20:10-13, 15-16; Rom 1:26-27; 1 Co 10:8; Heb 13:4)

Protection of the innocent and defenseless
Protect those who cannot protect themselves. (Ps 82:3-4; 106:38)

Protection of the unborn
Oppose abortion. (Ex 21:22-24; Ps 51:5; 139:13-16; Jer 1:5; Lk 1:41)

Care for the needy
Shift the balance from secular government to charitable programs, where people instead of agencies minister to people. The goal is help the needy achieve personal dignity through self-sufficiency. (Pr 31:8-9; Lk 12:33; 14:13-14; 1 Tim 5:3; Jas 1:27)

Israel
Acknowledge Israel’s sovereignty, its right to the land, its right to exist and defend itself. Support it as an important ally. Oppose the two-state solution. (Num 33:53; Joel 3:2; Amos 9:15)

Rule of law and justice
Pass and enforce legislation that is just. Prosecution of lawbreakers should be objective, timely and appropriate. (Deut 16:19-20; Pr 17:15; 31:9; Jer 22:3)

Personal integrity
Promote honorable, moral and ethical conduct. (Rom 12:10, 17; 1 Co 4:2; 2 Co 8:21; Php 4:8; Tit 3:1-2; Heb 12:14)

Personal liberty
Protect freedom of religion, speech, ownership and action. Oppose intrusion by the government on legitimate rights. (1 Co 9:19(a); 1 Pet 2:16)

Personal responsibility
Individuals should be self-controlled and held accountable for their actions. (Rom 13:1-5; 1 Pet 2:13-14)

Fiscal stewardship
Practice wise stewardship and eliminate debt. (Lk 14:28; Rom 13:7-8)

9 comments on “Biblical Values in the Political Realm

Tammy on September 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Larry Fox’s concise article is both timely and wise. A must-read for Christian voters.

Catherine Arnold Brennan on September 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Your comments are timely, well written and scripturally correct, Larry. Thank you!

Pat Bell on September 27, 2012 10:42 pm

A few years ago I came to the realization that the basic problem with society is not politics, but sin – especially the rejection of God. As long as that remains, everything else is just pieces moved around on a foundation of shifting sand, no matter how “good” things appear on the surface. It kind of removed any enthusiasm I had for politics. It also makes difficult the task of matching politicians to values such as the ones you list above.

As always, your writing is challenging and thought provoking! And you are absolutely correct, the answer for society is for the individuals in that society to be doing what is right. One of the ways to accomplish that is to think for ourselves and move away from the increasing tendency to be content to let our leaders do our thinking for us. Personal responsibility should be the new catch phrase of the day!

Cheryl Harris on September 28, 2012 7:14 am

Excellent article, Larry! Before casting our vote for anything, we should keep the above-referenced Scriptures in mind to make sure that we’re on the path leading to God and not away from Him!

God bless you abundantly in your endeavors to teach, lead and set godly examples we should all be following!

Gwen Cox on September 28, 2012 10:05 am

I like this and I agree.!!!!!!!!

Donna Winiarski on September 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Thank you Larry, you are correct that Christians that love the Lord need to stand up and be counted for important issues taught to us through Jesus Christ. Our Lord and Savior is everything.

Vanessa Jenkins on September 29, 2012 1:29 am

As stated earlier and I have shared myself with him personally, Mr. Fox’s teachings are very thought provoking and with scripture to support what SHOULD be done as children of a Gracious Heavenly Father. However, as Pat Bell said “the basic problem with society is not politics but sin”. Also, I have to remind myself often, that God has granted us all free will and as the Free American’s our service people have lost much to protect, we should remember that first and foremost and support those who help society help themselves while still respecting thier freedom’s of choice.

To give some thought provoking examples that I have struggled with. I will throw some shades of gray to initiate discussion on these topics.

On the subject of abortion, my position is pro choice, but I choose life. I don’t support the pro-life movement primarily because they refuse to support those who need the support the most in this issue, the mother of the unborn child. You will not see a pro-lifer at a family planning center offering unwed mothers more options to consider in her time of desperacy and lets face it, legal or not, abortions would still be performed and with far worse consequences. I don’t support either and really don’t consider a candidates position on this unless they were suggesting radically changing laws to be even more liberal.

In regards to sexual imorality, I have an issue with the fact that this subject is really left to the parents of children to guide based on thier own moral values. Which often the parents themselves differ even with one another on this subject. We are not afraid to say that murder is a sin (but then what do they consider abortion), but pre-marital sex is so common these days that people don’t want to talk about it too much because it is often a sin they themselves are guilty of, but don’t want to admit it. It needs to be talked about with youth and amoung adults to develop ways to prevent it.

I do not support homosexual marriage, but if there were laws that allowed more freedoms for extended family or friends to share in things like healthcare situations, etc. that were not specific to gay marriage, but co-parenting or co-habitating laws for people who share a home and expenses, I would support that. Though I believe there should be promotion for marriage in circumstances that do involve a man and a woman that are not biologically related in these circumstances.

On the subject of family. I am married for a second time because my first husband made the choice that he no longer wanted to be married to the mother of his two children and eventually became abusive towards me. It was very difficult for me to accept that my second marriage is considered a sin in the Bible but Mathew 5:32 says “But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.” I knew that staying in an abusive marriage was teaching my son the wrong way to treat a wife, that would be a sin, just as much as agreeing to a divorce. So I felt my decision to leave my first husband when he came back after leaving me only to become more abusive with me, was the best one for our entire family. My new husband is such a loving Christian (besides my rescue in a battle with my ex over any support as I did not have a stable enough income to support myself or my child) that I felt he was a gift from God for me and God would want us to be happy together. Then I had to remember, not only do we all have free will, but we all sin, as much as true Christian might try not to. Bible based divorce classes helped me recover from the guilt of a failed marriage so that I could move on from a marriage that had been dead for many years prior to the actual divorce. So should we judge a candidate if they have had more than one marriage?

Care for the needy, I would have to ask how effective is the charitable support for the needy? The young and the old especially may have trouble being self sufficient, let alone those like I was, a stay at home mom for the most part with no education, as a result of meeting my first husband when I was fifteen and part time retail jobs that had no benefits or guarantee of hours. If agencies could support non-profits more to effectively educate the needy to be self sufficient, that would be great.

I have trouble even knowing what the candidates plans for policies are as many of them seem they do not even know what they are. I have yet to see a president actually personally turn the economy around with his policies. We all want lower taxes to make it easier for us to be good stewards of our own finances. Personal integrity and responsibility are obvious ones, but I think liberty is a key one.

So how do we pick amoung todays candidates with these values in mind?

It is the result of free will that there is sin in the world. It all has to exist to fullfill God’s ultimate plan, of our future perfect world with Him. I don’t totally understand it, I just know that God does not want me to judge others or myself for OUR sins. He came to earth to redeem us and free us from them. So, how does this play into how I choose a candidate? I usually pick the lesser of two evils. Usually the one who pays less attention to the evils of the other candidate and is the most open and straight forward with what his or her plans are if elected. I haven’t seen much of that yet. I also don’t know if that is the best way to make my choice, but I would like to hear other peoples views on these topics specifically rather than just supporting someone else’s well thought out suggestions. Besides some more details in his.

So, will Mr. Fox be holding a class on Biblical values in the political realm as Pastor Shawn had requested in one of his previous sermons for someone to do? He would be a great teacher for such a class. I am rather at a loss in choosing amoung the candidates I have read about in this election, what little I have read on this subject. It is something that I will have to do some homework on as it quickly aproaches in order to feel I can properly vote, can you help me prepare?

I would love to hear even more details on this topic, even if only in this type of forum. I have faith that God will lead me in my choice and others, as God will be the ultimate decider anyway.

God’s Blessings in this!

Larry on September 29, 2012 8:57 am

I don’t believe all Christians should come to the same conclusions on all issues, simply because God created us individually and uniquely to provide the diversity human culture needs. Only God can be and do all things. You and I need to specialize, so I might do well in one area and be a miserable failure where you excel. As a result of these differences, we’ll have different motivations and perspectives, which might lead us to different conclusions on some issues. As Christians, however, we should all turn to God for wisdom and guidance, which includes applying biblical principles and values in every aspect of our lives. This means it’s entirely possible, even likely, for us to live by biblical values yet vote differently. It also means I might lean toward conservative on some issues but toward liberal on others. I don’t wear a party label. I strive to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.

These differences in how Christians apply biblical values prompted the statement in the article: “Please honor those who hold different values or who represent biblical values differently.”

Dale Sherman on September 30, 2012 6:00 pm